The Babylonian Verb Conjugator and Analyser (BVC, BVA) provides information the conjugation, construction and meaning of ideally all Akkadian verbs based on the following dictionaries:
BVC should not be considered a dictionary of verbs. If you want to determine the exact meaning of a verb, please look it up in the dictionaries mentioned above.
Donations are greatly appreciated for this leasure time project. Please send money to our PayPal account at firstname.lastname@example.org.
BVC could be improved considerably:
Version of 23 July 2023
- Reflexive forms with ramānu are now treated more correctly.
- BVA: some redundant results were removed.
Version of 10 May 2023
- BVA (verb analyser) improved: less results, unless * is added, e.g. "(ip-ru-uš)*".
- Verb nadānum improved (BVA works better for Assyrian and late forms).
Version of 23 February 2023
- BVC error with dative suffixes of 1st person.
- minor improvements.
Version of 10 July 2022
- BVA (analyser) has been considerably improved since May.
- errors have been fixed
- more Assyrian and late forms are understood
- multiple interpretations of final -u, -a, -i are supported (e.g. -u as plural or subjunctive or stem vowel)
- About 270 very rare verbs with attested finite forms have been added.
Version of 8 May 2022
BVA (analyser) improved:
- verbs izuzzum, zâzum, ezēzum
- D and Š of other verbs improved
Version of 23 April 2022
BVA improved (e.g., difficult verbs edûm/išûm) and some errors fixed.
Version of 13 April 2022
BVA understands Assyrian vowel harmony in most cases
Version of 10 April 2022
Babylonian Verb Analyser (BVA, under construction) was released:
Finite verb forms can be added in ( ) brackets in the search field.
Currently, it does not work for imperatives and statives yet.
Version of 6 March 2022
- epēšum, alternatively u/u, also in N (Huehnergard p. 376)
Version of 1/3 March 2022
- N stem pres. of izuzzum corrected (pret. and perf. are speculative)
- Errors in page numbers for CAD were corrected
Version of 19 February 2022
- Bug fix: tables of wârum improved, however, some forms are still problematic.
Version of 16 February 2022
- Bug fix: Š stem I-weak corrected.
Version of 29 October 2021
- Bug fix: Dative suffix now possible without ventive.
Version of 20 October 2021
- Some errors in verb data corrected.
Version of 14 October 2021
- Verbs (CDA) complete, except some for which only statives or infinitives are attested.
- Search function further improved. Radicals can be entered instead of infinitive. Wildcard "x" can be used.
- For each verb, the paradigm in Huehnergard is indicated, if existing, with page number in the 2nd and 3rd editions (2005 and 2011).
- Some errors in verb data (babverbdata.js) corrected.
Version of 7 October 2021 (2)
- Some verbs now have active stative automatically.
English translations of stative forms usually do not express the stative character well. However, activity and passivity should be handled correctly.
Version of 1 October 2021
- Search function further improved: radicals can be entered in search field.
Version of 26 September 2021
- Ntn stem of verbs primae n now without assimilation of n (Huehnergard p. 450).
to top of page